Friday, July 15, 2011

Custer, Four Presidents and Crazy Horse

Here's the map link.

Left Hardin, MT and went the 12 or so miles to the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Walked the grounds for a bit and was very glad to see a very well done representation of the American Indian warriors that were involved and honored for their part in the battle.

I left the Memorial and then made my way to Devils Tower. Was very beautiful, both from a distance and up close. Didn't notice any climbers on their way up though.

Passed through Sturgis and it is still two weeks away from the rally, but the t-shirts are already on sale, so I picked up one for me and a couple for gifts for my brother and sister-in-law.

Continued on to Mount Rushmore and then on to the Crazy Horse Memorial. Was very impressed with both, but the Crazy Horse Memorial pulls at the heart-strings just a little harder for me personally. I'm not of native American blood, but the way that they were treated during the Indian Wars and all the failed treaties was criminal. (Correction: I was informed by my father that I am 1/8 Cheyenne! No wonder that I was affected by the presentation.)

Tomorrow it is off to Wounded Knee, SD, then east to Dyersville, IA to see the "Field of Dreams". Don't know if I can do both in one day, but at least there will be a lot of miles involved. Once the sightseeing is done, it will certainly be back to the grind of making tracks.

No comments: