Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Key West to Home

Spent two nights in Key West and did the touristy stuff. It is a small town with a unique flavor, but hte cost of living there is astronomical. $400K buys you a one bedroom, one bath shack. Most of the locals are involved with the marine/fishing industry or tourism (lodging, restaurants, bars, etc.) Some tech, but not a whole lot else.

Left Key West about noon and headed north. Had an idea that I'd make Savannah, GA, but that wasn't realistic, so I laid up just to the north of Daytona. J&P Cycles has a big store there and that meant that I just HAD to do a little shopping the next morning.

Left Daytona and experienced my worst day of weather on the entire trip - about 40 miles - some of it in heavy downpours that I had to pull over and stop for. Still, once I got back into Virginia there wasn't going to be any more rain and I wasn't looking to do anything except get home. Ran the last 3.5 hours or so in the dark, using trucks as "deer shields". Just stayed with a truck and let him lead so that if a deer did come out it wouldn't be my problem. Pulled in to home at 12:15 or so. Tired, but otherwise glad that I made the trip. Now I have to figure out wha thte next adventure of bucket list quality will be next...

Here's the map links for day one and day two.

No comments: