Thursday, July 14, 2011

Yellowstone National Park

Here's the link to the map.

Left Belgrade, MT and headed south to the west entrance of Yellowstone National Park. Visited a couple of geysers and then headed to Old Faithful. If was PACKED with tourists, so after getting a pin or two, headed around the south end of the park to Lake Yellowstone. I can't possibly describe how beautiful this place is, but I was disappointed that the only wildlife I saw was a single bald eagle. No bison or bears. Although the bears I was kind of glad to not see as one just killed a camper a few days before I visited the park.

Left the park out the east side and headed towards Billings. This leg of the trip was marked by two drivers that were inattentive and attempted passing vehicles coming my way, forcing me to the shoulder while I hit the brakes. The second guy got the usual light flashes, but with the added single finger salute.

Also was treated to a car chase of sorts as well. Guy didn't want to wait at a single lane construction site and he attempted to run it when the lane monitor told him verbally to wait (along with a red light that was set up). He was boxed in my construction vehicles and the state police paid him a visit. He either got a hefty fine or possibly jail. I'm thinking the latter because as I travelled beyond the construction site a second trooper showed up a good 15 minutes after this whole mess started.

Lastly, had to backtrack to Hardin as there are no hotels to speak of south towards the Little Big Horn Battlefield. It was quite expensive too as there are all sorts of workers in town dealing with an oil spill in the Yellowstone River.

Tomorrow will be the battlefield, followed by Devils Tower and if possible, Wounded Knee, SD.

No comments: